When looking for the best SUV in Canada, it is important to note that SUVs are the most popular kind of vehicles in the country. That is a fact as every year, more and more people choose an SUV over a Sedan or a compact car. As in any other Canadian trend, the primary cause of this is the weather conditions country-wide. That is why we created this "Best SUV Canada" list.
For the full 2018 Best SUV list, refer to our updated 2018 SUV Canada Market Review.
I've talked in previous articles about how to deal with the snow and some tips to better improve the actual driving experience.
If you are interested on Compact/small vehicles, you can check our full list of Best Compact Cars in Canada.
Best SUV Canada: A list to read before making a decision
When looking for a new car, one of the first steps needed for a successful deal is getting up to date with the market status. On this article, I will refer to the actual situation of prices of the best SUV in Canada (year-wide), so anyone can better understand this list. You can also explore the list of SUV deals under 500CAD/month.
Although the final price negotiation depends on many factors, these are the advertised starting prices of car manufacturers for Canada in 2017:
Canada's Top 2017 Compact SUV
Honda HR-V Sales scored 20,000 units sold in the first two years of the model launch (2015-16)
Compact SUV have recently arrived into the North American markets because of a very simple reason: it is the perfect mix between a compact sedan/hatchback and an SUV. It is the perfect vehicle for continuing driving a small vehicle with the some "imported" features from the big ones like cargo space, traction, and performance "off-road."
Most people love them because are a good "transition vehicle" for moving to larger ones.
Following, ordered by monthly cost, the list of the top selling ones in Canada during 2016:
- 2017 Mazda CX3 (starting 270 - 295) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Nissan Juke (starting 320 - 335) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Honda HR-V (starting 325 - 340) CAD/month tax. inc.
Canada's Top 2017 Mid-Size SUV
While the volume of sales for Mid-Size SUV keeps going up, Toyota keeps actively breaking all records with the RAV4 and following on the line the Honda CR-V. Between both vehicles, more than 100,000 units were sold just last year in Canada:
- 2017 Nissan Rogue (starting 305 - 325) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Toyota RAV4 (starting 320 - 360) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Honda CR-V (starting at 325 - 350) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Kia Sportage (starting at 330 - 340) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Ford Escape (starting 350 - 365) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Mazda CX-5 (starting 350 - 365) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Hyundai Tucson (starting 360 - 375) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Jeep Cherokee (starting 370 - 390) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Subaru Crosstrek (starting 405 - 430) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Chevrolet Equinox (starting 420 - 440) CAD/month tax. inc.
Canada's Top 2017 Full-Size SUV
Only in the U.S., Ford sold +219,000 Ford Explorer units in 2016.
Among people who like SUVs, Full-size SUVs sound really attractive. Space, power, and less fear when going off road. Although not as popular as in the U.S., Full-Size SUVs are usually above the 650CAD/month price range.
- 2017 Mazda CX9 (starting at 610) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Toyota 4Runner (starting at 650) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Honda Pilot (starting at 655) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Ford Explorer (starting at 655) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 GMC Terrain (starting at 680) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee (starting at 840) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2016 GMC Yukon (starting at 845) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe (starting at 856) CAD/month tax. inc.
Canada's Top 2017 Luxury SUV
Infiniti sold ~5,000 QX60 units in Canada during 2016.
And of course, there are Luxury ones. Although the primary market for Luxury vehicles was originally sedans, it has gradually evolved to adapt the actual demand and we can explore many available options of SUVs among the Luxury brands.
- 2017 Infiniti Q50 (starting at 590) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Acura RDX (starting at 590) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 (starting at 620) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Audi Q5 (starting at 700) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Acura MDX (starting at 867) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Infinity QX60 (starting at 905) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 (starting 1,500) CAD/month tax. inc.
You can also explore the full list of luxury cars in Canada.
If you are on a budget...
On average, Canadians spent around 440CAD/month on a car. Still, there are many affordable options that go way below that budget.
If you are one of those persons (like me) that consider it an excessive amount of money for an average car price, then just go for the cheapest options. There are many affordable SUVs in Canada under 350 CAD (tax. inc.) per Month, including the Honda CR-V, the Kia Sportage and the Nissan Rogue.
Keep studying the market
And we do it every month. Every month prices change, every month incentives change, and every single month vehicles move up and down in our lists. As we always say: "We do the math, and then you make a choice" when using our Price Explorer tool.