Explore the Updated "Best 2019 SUV in Canada" Review!
Updated JUNE 2018: SUVs are among the most popular vehicles in Canada: versatility, comfort, safety and "winter ready", for sure. This year, new releases, lots of new hybrid alternatives and more options for the Canadian Market. Once again, the most popular kind of vehicle in our snowy country, the SUV make their appearance again in our Best SUV Canada 2018 list.
Best SUV Canada 2018: Our Data Source
There are multiple approaches we could to for defining the best ones, but in the end, you will decide so when you do the test drive. Our list is just a study we summarize as the result of multiple reviews, price analysis, and actual market trends based on a number of sales:
- We've analyzed more than 100+ SUV available in Canada from more than 25 car makes.
- Vehicles are divided into 4 groups: Compact SUV, Mid-Size, Full-Size & Luxury SUVs.
- You can explore our full source of data using our Car Price Calculator.
- We have included some 2017 Models that will be available during the first months of 2018.
- Each vehicle price is displayed as a range, due to monthly variation.
Sales Statistics (Updated June 2018)
Sales numbers are the first indicator of what works well, what people choose and what performs the better. Although pricing may be a separated point on this list, my intention is to focus only on sales results:
- 2018 Honda CR-V - 17,100+ units sold so far in 2018. It represents a 13% increase compared to the same period of 2017.
- 2018 Toyota RAV4 - 16,000 units and about 1,000 more than the same period of last year.
- 2018 Nissan Rogue - 14,000 vehicles sold and maintaining the same sales rate than the beginning of last year.
- 2018 Ford Escape - 13,500 units so far and 13,300 during the same period in 2017.
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler - 12,565 so far this year and check this out: 4,876 in 2017. It is almost a 260% increase in sales. The All-new 2018 features on the new model redesign resulted in a boost of sales in all North America.
- 2018 Mazda CX-5 - 8,700 sales (1,000 more than during 2017)
- 2018 Chevy Equinox - 7,600 during 2018, about a 15% drop from last year.
- 2018 Hyundai Tucson - 7,100 this year, about 2,500 less than 2017. Not good news Hyundai :(
- 2018 Jeep Cherokee - 7,000 so far in 2018, about a 15% less than last year, but evidently because many customers moved over to the new Wrangler.
- 2018 Ford Edge - 6,000 units and similar to 2017 sales.
- 2018 Ford Explorer - 6,000 units and also similar to 2017 sales.
- 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan - 5,300 units sold versus 2,500 during the same period last year. More than double because of the fantastic model redesign.
If you are a person that follow trends, then the previous numbers will kelp you come up with a better final choice. Understanding the market is vital and is also another of the primary indicators to confirm you made the right decision.
Canada's Top 2018 Compact SUV
We start our list with the compact SUVs. The shortest one, of course, due to the recent trend of these transition vehicles, usually redesigned from the mid-size SUV down from the lines of the different manufacturers that have put hands into it. The main exception: The Crosstrek.
The Crosstrek is a redesigned Impreza mounted on top of an elevated suspension, making it a very suitable alternative for the Canadian market and ranking it as the best Compact SUV during 2016 - 2017, with more than 11,000 sold units per year.
The 2018 Subaru Crosstrek starts around 450 CAD/month tax. inc. for a 36 months lease.
And following the Subaru crossover flagship, the other available alternatives:
- 2018 Mazda CX3 (starting 280 - 315) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Nissan Qashqai (starting 320 - 335) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Honda HR-V (starting 380 - 400) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Toyota CH-R (starting 380 - 410) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Nissan Juke (starting 320 - 335) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Mitsubishi RVR (starting 310 - 340) CAD/month tax. inc.
Canada's Top 2018 Mid-Size SUV
RAV4 sales have been growing in a range between 15-16% year after year since 2014.
The RAV4 is definitely breathtaking and hard to beat for the rest of the manufacturers. The 2018 Honda CR-V was the runner-up on sales, but during 2016 and more specifically on 2017, the Ford Escape has taken the second place.
The newly redesigned 2018 Tiguan (that BTW, looks amazing) has an incredible jump of sales on 2017.
- 2018 Toyota RAV4 (starting 340 - 370) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Ford Escape (starting 350 - 365) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Honda CR-V (starting 385 - 425) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan (starting 340 - 365) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Chevrolet Equinox (starting 345 - 385) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe XL (starting 485 - 525) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2017 Nissan Rogue (starting 325 - 355) CAD/month tax. inc.
Canada's Top 2018 Full-Size SUV
The new 2018 Sequoia starts close to 1,000 CAD/month tax. inc.
And the list of full-size SUV. Although not the most popular ones, mostly due to pricing, the following 2018 vehicles are already on the top of the lists for the most attractive options out there in the Canadian market:
- 2018 Volkswagen Atlas (starting at 550) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Mazda CX9 (starting at 600) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Toyota Sequoia (starting at 990) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Toyota 4Runner (starting at 650) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Ford Flex (starting at 700) CAD/month tax. inc.
Canada's Top 2018 Luxury SUV
The new Volvo XC90 is peaking as the most requested vehicle by our customers during 2017.
The top SUVs list is really variable. Depends on many factors, the number of sales is way lower compared to the rest of the alternatives and price range is wider than in any other sector. Following, the list of the Top 2018 Luxury SUVs that are already out in the market:
- 2018 Volvo XC 90 (starting at 1500) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Infiniti QX30 (starting at 510) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 (starting 1,500) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Acura RDX (starting at 580) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Volvo XC60 (starting at 780) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Lexus NX (starting at 600) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio (starting at 600) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Porsche Macan (starting at 1,100) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Jaguar F-Pace (starting at 980) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar (starting at 1,200) CAD/month tax. inc.
- 2018 Porsche Cayenne (starting at 1,300) CAD/month tax. inc.
You can find the full list of luxury cars available in Canada.
Go Further with Your Research
Don't consider this article enough. Among dozens of models, this is just the top of the list for the Best SUV Canada "full list". Keep digging and digging on the topic to ensure the best possible set of tools that will help you with your final decision. For additional reference, you could always jump to our extra resources:
- SUV under 350CAD/month in Canada
- Top Ten SUV in Canada: What Canadians Prefer
- 2017 Best Canada SUV List
- List of SUVs in Canada Under 500CAD/month
- Car Price Calculator & Explorer